Thursday, August 1, 2013

Riley Cooper sent to sensitivity training for use of the N-word

Sensitivity training?! For an adult?! For a professional football player?! C'mon son, you have got to be kidding me. When did this world get so sensitive? I expect children to get upset if someone calls them a name, but grown ups? Get over it! Be forewarned, this may be the last time you see a story like this on this blog because I honestly couldn't care less who uses the N-word. Anyway, USA Today has the latest on this story:

PHILADELPHIA -- Now that he has been fined an undisclosed amount and made his apologies, Philadelphia Eagles receiver Riley Cooper is being sent for sensitivity training and counseling, the team announced Thursday.

In a statement, the team said: "In meeting with Riley yesterday, we decided together that his next step will be to seek outside assistance to help him fully understand the impact of his words and actions. He needs to reflect. As an organization, we will provide the resources he needs to do so."

On a video published Wednesday on CrossingBroad.com, Cooper was caught using a racial slur in a confrontation with an African-American security guard at a Kenny Chesney concert in June.
In a video that has gone viral, Cooper said, "I will jump that fence and fight every (N-word) here, bro."

Cooper apologized on Twitter, then to the media, then to teammates on Wednesday.

"There was a confrontation and I handled it extremely, extremely poorly,'' Cooper said to reporters and local television cameras. "This is kind of the lowest of lows. This isn't the type of person I want to be portrayed as. This isn't the type of person that I am.

"I know no one in Philadelphia is happy with me right now. I accept that. I just hope they see the true me. And accept my apology.''

Later, quarterback Michael Vick said he accepted Cooper's apology, made one-on-one, to him.

"We understand the magnitude of this situation, we understand a lot of people may be hurt and offended,'' Vick said. "But I know Riley Cooper. I've been with him for three years and I know what type of person he is. That's what makes it easy, at the same time hard to understand the situation. I forgave him.''

Other teammates also said they had forgiven Cooper, who addressed the entire team after a Wednesday night practice.

"Riley Cooper made a mistake and life goes on,'' linebacker Brandon Graham told USA TODAY Sports via text Thursday. "Nobody is perfect. We all mess up sometimes. I forgive him and the team does, too. I think he will be good to go with us.''

Forgiveness might take time with other teammates who are still processing the racial epithet.

Receiver Jason Avant indicated he will take a wait-and-see approach after Cooper broke a bond among teammates with his incendiary comments.

"Does it hurt? Yes, it does,'' Avant said. "But I still will deal with it as a Christian, and I will always err on the side of mercy.''

Team owner Jeffrey Lurie, who gave Vick a second chance after the former Atlanta Falcons star was incarcerated 21 months for his role in an illegal dogfighting ring, said in a Wednesday night statement:

"We are shocked and appalled by Riley Cooper's words. This sort of behavior or attitude has no place in a civil society. He has accepted responsibility for his words and his actions. He has been fined for this incident.''

The NFL isn't expected to take any disciplinary action.

No comments:

Post a Comment