Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Amar'e Stoudemire could still possibly play in Game 4


I can't judge Amar'e for this impulsive decision...the timing was terrible though. USA Today reports:

The Knicks trail 2-0, with Game 3 at Madison Square Garden on Thursday. Stoudemire has been ruled out for that game, as well as guard Jeremy Lin, who has been recovering from a knee injury and was hoping to be available for this series. He was not ruled out for Game 4.

Wearing a bulky bandage and cast on his lacerated left hand, Stoudemire spoke to news reporters Wednesday at the team's practice facility and said he's optimistic about Game 4.

"I'm not sure yet. But it wasn't like I had a closed fist and just punched through glass," Stoudemire said of his punch of the glass encasing a fire extinguisher in frustration after Monday's loss in Miami.

"It was like I just walked by and wanting to make some noise, swung my arms and didn't realize I was cut at all until (center) Josh Harrellson told me I was cut."

....

Stoudemire was very "apologetic" about the incident, Woodson said.

"Amar'e has gone through a lot this year. … He's a big piece of the puzzle," Woodson said. "I'm going to show him all the love and support I can give him."

Stoudemire says pro athletes hit things out of frustration "all the time," whether it's doors or water coolers. But even he was shocked by what he had done to himself.

When he looked down at his bleeding hand, Stoudemire said he thought, 'Holy s---.' When I looked at my hand, I was like, 'What?'"

Teammate Carmelo Anthony said he talked with Stoudemire and exchanged texts.

"He feels bad about what happened. He understands what was at stake, the situation," Anthony said. "Only thing I care about is him being healthy and his hand being OK. He did it, it's over with, I don't really care about that. Long as his hand is fine."

Anthony said he has never punched an object after a game.

Woodson said he has seen players "do strange things" over the years when they get frustrated. "It happens in our sport, it happens in all sports," he said.

The bottom line for the Knicks is they have to accept Stoudemire being out for at least one game and "push on," Woodson said.

Stoudemire said fans have the wrong "perception" of what actually happened. Rather than punching through glass, he swung out at the metal door around the extinguisher and just happend to catch some glass.

"Everybody gets upset at times. Never in a million years would I think that I would actually cut myself," Stoudemire said.

"Bad timing. I'll be back."

His teammates, though, have to move on to Thursday's Game 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment