Thursday, February 16, 2012

Too Short and XXL backtacking on Valentine's Day video


Earlier this week, Oakland rap vet Too Short and XXL released a video that has received a considerable amount of backlash. Hip Hop Wired reports:

In an attempt at continued relevance with a younger audience, $hort and XXLMag.com joined together for a video column segment in which the rapper was advising young boys about dating girls. What happened next will go down in infamy for XXL giving Too $hort a pass and publishing a video where he instructs boys on how to essentially s*xually assault young women.

“A lot of the boys are going to be running around trying to get kisses from the girls. We're going way past that. I'm taking you to the hole,” said $hort in the video. “You push her up against the wall. You take your finger and put a little spit on it and you stick your finger in her underwear and you rub it on there and watch what happens.”

Taken from XXLMag.com:

Vanessa Satten, XXL Editor-in-Chief: “I do not see all content before it goes live. When I saw this video, I was truly offended and thought it crossed the line. I had it taken down immediately. I am disappointed that an employee decided to post it and I am putting internal procedures in place to make sure content like this does not go on the site. The video goes against my value system and represents poor judgment on behalf of the individual who posted it.”

Too $hort: “I want to apologize to anyone I may have offended with the XXL video interview I recently did. When I got on camera I was in Too $hort mode and had a lapse of judgement.I would never advise a child or young man to do these things, it’s not how I get down. Although I have made my career on dirty raps, I have worked over the years to somewhat balance the content of my music with giving back to the community. Just coming from a man who wants to see young people get ahead in life, I’m gonna do my best to to help and not hurt. If you’re a young man or a kid who looks up to me, don’t get caught up in the pimp, player, gangster hip-hop personas. Just be yourself.”

No comments:

Post a Comment